Monday, October 02, 2017

Paris Opera Garnier

The opera Garnier is my favorite building in Paris hands down. Take the TOUR.
I took the very worthwhile tour back in January. Do not take a stuffed toy (Bear) with you. He was removed from my bag at security!! FYI the lines at security take a while and you can miss your English tour so go early and leave bears at home.
Once inside the grandeur gets you.
Everyone was wearing the wrong clothes. They should give us fancy dress for the tour IMHO.
We got to see the glorious grand ballroom. Women were not allowed in for the longest time. Can you imagine the cigar smoke.
A peek at a rehearsal inside the theatre.
The opera library has stunning treasures - miniature theatre maquettes.
Costumes from Mozart's marriage of Figaro.
The opera house has its on art gallery. The costume designer Leon Baskt exhibit was fabulous earlier this year.
With accompanying Nijinski videos of Bird of Paradise.
I've been back to draw the interior several times.
I would love to paint the grand staircase.
Outside the shapes are enthralling.
I could stand in front of it all night. So dramatic. Appropriately a crich chocolate-layered cake was named after the Opera Garnier.
First get the drawing down and then an all-over warm watercolor wash.
The cool dark sky beckons. I should be painting it last but I'm not good at waiting for dessert.
Then the windows and figures. At last touches of gold paint to highlight the sculptures. They are gold patinaed. Perhaps it is a gaudy, flashy building but its win my heart over.
What do you think?
Receive Parisbreakfast letters, mapand watercolors in your mailbox. Thank you for reading Parisbreakfast.
e">

30 comments:

  1. I love this watercolor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't recall...doesn't the ceiling of the Opera House have a glorious mural/painting by Chagall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:23 PM

      Yes! It is a wonderful depiction of several famous operas rendered by Marc Chagall. Technically it is a mural but the French call it a "plafond". When you go through the museum after the tour, you can see a model of the original plafond which is also quite lovely. Cheers, Stephan

      Delete
    2. I did get a sneak shot of the Chagall ceiling and also saw the original which I maybe preferred..

      Delete
  4. Your buildings are nothing short of woderful..in the blink of an eye it seems you mastered them:)
    That was one of my fave buildings in Paris..wish I had taken the tour.
    Just came back from 24 days in Provence..a dream:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monique 😀
      But it was no blink of the eye I can assure you!!

      Delete
  5. These are gorge pictures! I took the Opera tour a few years ago and it was so impressive!
    I assume you got Bear back. He must have been miffed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it was lucky I noticed Bear was missing!! Eeek

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is a must-see! Both on a tour and for a performance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Opera and your watercolor is perfect. The grandeur of it is so stunning - I'd love to attend a performance there. I've been home from Paris a week and miss it already so thank you for keeping it alive, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go too Suki
      I heard ballet tickets are not too bad...maybe 40 €...

      Delete
  8. A beautiful capture of the beautiful and glorious Opera Garnier. One could spend weeks I’m sure sketching both inside and outside! I’ve always wanted to see the Chagall ceiling! I’ve seen the outside and that alone captured my heart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful idea Donna! Spending weeks inside and out would be heaven.

      Delete
  9. I love your post today. I gasped at the loss of bear. So glad he is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn S2:45 PM

    Terrific. Just terrific. Loved this post.
    Maybe Bear made some friends as he was being detained.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy H2:50 PM

    Love the distraction of art and opera as we are ALL reeling from the latest crazy person doing such damage in the world...just so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karryll3:40 PM

    Carol,

    Magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clarity Artisrs9:56 PM

    Love, love, love, the images of your paint pans and brushes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cornelia E10:02 PM

    Wonderful is what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Opera painting Carol! As always :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gwendoline12:46 AM

    Your watercolour of the exterior of my fav building in Paris (too) is really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty! What pen do you use for the drawing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a Towbow fudensuke calligraphy pen most of the time Mindy

      Delete
  19. One of my favorite buildings in Paris and your watercoor captures it perfectly. Isn't the museum fascinating? I could have (and probably did) spend hours in there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this very much! The tour, the process, and the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. On my first trip to Europe in 1961, I climbed up out of the metro station seeing the glorious opera house gradually appearing before my eyes. What a thrilling welcome to Paris it was! Opera Garnier always will hold a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must do the tour the next time I'm in Paris! I'd better get there soon my list is getting long, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you